Cathedral of Monreale
The Golden Mosaics within the Cathedral of Monreale were the highlight of our ventures today. Each small piece of tile was handcrafted, painted and laid by hand by French/Norman, Byzantine and Arab workers with the church, displaying architectural influence from all three cultures in an effort to unite the religious structure of the city. 42 biblical scenes were represented by the mosaics. The building of the church was started in 1174 and completed in 1185 by William II, Norman ruler of Sicily who defeated the Arabs and took back the area of Palermo/Monreale.
Cathedral of MonrealeSiclyItaly